Friday, November 10, 2023

Management and Leadership with a Small "L"

Week 7: 

This week in our studies we read Chapter 6 - 

We learn about the (4) interrelated functions of management:

Planning: setting goals and determining the best way to achievement. 

Organizing: allocating resources to carry out the company’s plans. 

Directing: the process of providing focus for employees and motivating them to achieve organizational goals. 

Controlling: comparing actual to expected performance and taking corrective action when necessary. 

I like that I was able to learn and understand what a SWOT analysis is and its purpose. I can see that it can be used personally and professionally. As part of a strategic-planning process, assessing the company’s fit with its environment. Analyzing an organization’s Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats. Besides a SWOT Analysis, the other steps involve preparing a mission statement, selecting core values, setting goals and objectives, and planning tactical and operational plans. 

  • How would you compare management with leadership? Describe two people in your life, one an excellent leader and the other an excellent manager, and explain what characteristics each possessed that made them excellent.

Management is defined as how businesses organize and direct workflow, operations, and employees to meet company goals. In terms of leadership it is can be described as an individual or group of employees who can lead and guide a group of people to fulfill their duties and responsibilities. My husband is a supervisor and he has developed great leadership skills where he is part of a management group but is responsible for one crew of 10-12 employees where he will delegate tasks and responsibilities each shift to ensure that their goals are achieved. My manager, Mafini at work manages the groups as a whole. While we can see and understand management entails, there is a big difference between these two words. 

  •  Which of the managerial skills are strengths for you and which are weaknesses? What are some ways you could improve in the skills where you are weakest?

Strengths:
Technical Skills 
Conceptual Skills
Decision making Skills

Weaknesses: 
Time-Management Skills
Communication Skills

My strengths are mainly about completing my tasks as an employee. My weaknesses are based upon past experiences and I hope to sharpen these skills for the future. I could improve on keeping my time and respecting others. I need to communicate better in terms of speaking up about what I feel and keeping it professionally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Operations Management

 Operations Management - When we hear these two words, what comes to mind? For me, it is the management of a group and or entity for operati...