Reflection - This will be my second to last semester here at BYU-I and I look forward to the journey ahead. As we begin the Fall Semester we are greeted by the icebreaker and getting to know one another discussions. Pages filled with photos of my peers and their families. We know the drill for the first weeks of the semester we are to introduce ourselves and share a bit about our education and what we want to do after graduation. I like that Elder Bednar shared a few things that resonated with me. An excerpt from his talk stated, "A college experience is a period of development in one's life to be prized and prospered." In my mind, the prospect of education is the development of faith and competence. Like in the scriptures, by small and simple things, great things are brought to pass. Faith is defined as the firm belief in something for which there is no proof. If we break it down, we know that I had no clue what I wanted to do after Pathway. I also didn't understand where it would take me. I pushed myself to make the move by enrolling in the following semester at BYUI and today see where it all has taken me. My faith has wavered throughout the years and I was not able to find competence until my sophomore year. "There are essential skills for a spiritual, happy and productive life." I have been able to gain and sharpen my skills as a student from the interactions with my peers, having deep discussions about doctrine and academics. I was grateful for the experience because it took me to a whole new level of understanding. I love words and being able to understand its definition and how I can apply it to my life.
Faithful - Competent - Sacrifice - Consecration -
Diligence + Heart, might, mind, and strength = Strong mind (a mind capable of learning and instruction and discipline and receiving revelation).
Both words have similar meanings but the levels of understanding are different. As one word is the action while the other is the descriptive. Both words work together harmoniously.
D&C 82:3 "...of him unto whom much is given much is required"
- Describe your own experience with becoming a faithful and competent student, as Elder Bednar describes.
- How is your educational experience related to sacrifice and consecration, as defined by Elder Bednar?
No comments:
Post a Comment